Shrub removal can be a great way to keep your yard looking lush and tidy. Over time shrubs and trees can become overgrown and unwieldy. Over time some may die or become damaged due to disease, age, or pests.
What should you consider before trimming or removing shrubs or trees?
How is a shrub removed?
These questions and more will be discussed in this guide to shrub removal. Read on to learn all you need to know.
Table of Contents
- Things to consider before trimming or removing shrubs and trees
- Why remove a shrub?
- How much does it cost to remove a shrub?
- How is a shrub removed?
- Are trees removed in the same way?
- Final thoughts
Things To Consider Before Trimming Or Removing Shrubs And Trees
When deciding what course of action to take, keep these thoughts in mind:
- Is the tree or shrub a risk to the rest of the garden, for example, is it diseased. If so, removal is probably best.
- Trimming is best at certain times of the year, make sure you do it at the right time
- What will I do with the stump?
- What costs are involved
These questions are important when deciding what to do. Our experienced team will be able to guide you through the process at every step of the way.
Later you can learn more about the process of removing shrubs. Before that, the next section will give you an idea of the costs involved.
Why Remove A Shrub?
There are many reasons a shrub may need to be removed. Here are the main ones:
- Large shrubs may need to be removed as getting too big
- The shrubs are dead
- If the shrubs are diseased, removal is vital in this instance to stop the disease spreading
- Overgrown shrubs may need removal if unable to maintain via trimming
How Much Does It Cost for Shrub Removal?
Prices will vary depending on the size of the shrub, the ease of removal, and the difficulty of disposal. It is not possible to provide a guess as each job will be unique.
When discussing your needs with our friendly team you can take advantage of a free estimate. Our prices are reasonable, and you can get an accurate quote before any work is undertaken.
How Is A Shrub Removed?
When removing a shrub, it is important to use the right tools and do it in the right way. Using the wrong tools or wrong process could result in creating further problems for your garden.
In most cases it is advisable to use a professional shrub removal service. This is because we have the right tools for each job plus, we have many years of experience in all aspects of garden maintenance.
There are 4 key steps when removing a shrub, they are:
- De-branch the plant. Trying to remove the shrub straight away will leave you frustrated. The first thing you must do is cut off as many branches as you can, preferably leaving just a few stems in the ground when you are finished.
- De-root the plant. To start with you will need to dig out the soil around the plant. Keep doing this until you have exposed as much of the root system as you can. Once you have access to the roots you need to cut through them all.
- Remove the stump. Now that the roots are cut, and the stump is exposed you can remove the stump. You should be able to get your shovel underneath the stump and pry it out. Remember to fill in the hole with the soil you have just dugout.
- Recycle the branches and stumps. Depending on your area, the local trash collectors may take the branches and stumps. If not, you should be able to bag it up and drop it off at your nearest recycling center.
Are Trees Removed In The Same Way?
If a tree needs to be removed this is dealt with differently. To start with the tree would be cut down. You are then left with a stump in the garden which you can remove or grind down.
Tree removal means you now have a hole to fill in but there is nothing left of the tree in the garden.
If you opt to get the stump ground down, a stump grinder is used to grind the stump down to the ground level. The roots are left and can be poisoned to speed up the decaying process. The benefit of having the stump ground down is that there is less mess and the job is usually easier.
Our experienced, friendly, and highly skilled team at Hidden Oak Tree Care can help with all your gardening needs. Whether you need a shrub or tree trimming or removing we can provide a quality service to satisfy your needs.
Contact us now at 383.800.8733 to discuss your requirements and arrange your free estimate.